Sunday, June 2, 2013

Picnic near Apex



bumps in ice from tidal movement of water below
I am here in Iqaluit.

The flight in was amazing.

We flew over water that was a gorgeous blue, speckled with white, until we could see the floe edge, the place where the ice is solid, and people can go hunt or fish.

Rebecca and Maata with the rest of the seal
After that, we flew over rocky land where you could see glacial striations scratched into the surface.

We are staying in a 3 bedroom place up on the hill.

The view out over the town and bay is amazing.

Tonight, there was a picnic: Eloise and Rob bought a seal (yes, a whole seal) and Maata and her boys cooked a seal stew for us out on the tundra.

The colours are gorgeous. I was SO mad that I forgot to take my camera out with me, but Rob took a few photos that I will try to upload.

So… tonight I ate seal stew and seal broth.

The Inuit students said (and I had already heard) that seal will heat your blood.

Oddly enough, 3 hours later, as I am getting ready to go to bed, I really AM feeling hotter!

 Lori Idlout did tell me to be sure to drink lots of water tonight. I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment